Thursday 18 January 2018

In Defence of the Fence


I’m not a vegan, I enjoy sausage and mash as much as the next person, but I do choose to use cruelty free products and find myself forever checking if my favourite moisturiser is on the approved list. We must save those rabbits after all.

 

This obsession stemmed from watching a video online, where a poor young girl was subjected to the same tests lab rats go through just to see if your favourite mascara is going to turn your eyelashes the correct shade of blue.

 

Cruelty free products are a favourite of mine, but I would never introduce myself in the following way, “Hi, my names Carrie and I believe in cruelty free”. As I’m a firm believer in the fact that everyone can make their own decisions, have an opinion or sit on the fence if they want to.

 

We stereotype and categorise, but that man with the nose ring and an arm full of tattoos could be the best doctor we’ve ever known. We eat organically because we’re told that processed food will cause cancer. But in the future, we’ll probably be told that eating clean causes cancer too.

 

Buying a hybrid car so we look like we’re saving the environment, but taking an opportunity to switch to petrol to gain some speed and sound like a “bad boy” racer on the motorway.

 

Sitting on the fence is the inability to choose between two sides, or a lack of courage to decide. I mean most people have no issue supporting their favourite football team, but struggle in reference to political discussions. 

 

Striving for knowledge for a better understanding of a situation. But does that just make it more confusing?

 

I was once told that only truly intelligent people can see both sides of an argument. You don’t have to agree, you just have to see the other point of view.

 

In light of this I’m in agreement with Tim Minchin, who once sang,

 

“You can’t see which grass is greener. Chances are it’s neither, and either way it’s easier to see the difference, when you’re sitting on the fence”

 


No comments:

Post a Comment